[WikiEN-l] Brandt wishes to release personal details of all Wikipedia admins

slimvirgin at gmail.com slimvirgin at gmail.com
Sun Dec 25 01:51:24 UTC 2005

http://wikipediareview.proboards78.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1134797879&page=1)
> Daniel Brandt is wishing to name every Wikipedia admin, expanding the
> Hivemind page (http://www.wikipedia-watch.org/hivemind.html) to include all
> such details.
> I think this is starting to go too far now.

I agree with Violet that this has gone too far. One admin (not someone
named by Brandt) recently received a personal threat in a phone call
from someone he had taken action against on Wikipedia. It shows that
being named has the potential to be dangerous.

Brandt also seemed to threaten to publish someone's photograph today
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Talk:Daniel_Brandt&diff=prev&oldid=32627068
and has talked about people's employment prospects being affected.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Talk:Daniel_Brandt&diff=prev&oldid=32623911

The other problem is that not all the personal details he's published
so far are accurate. Mistaken identity can have an effect on someone's
life too, whether it's the admin's or the real-life person they've
been wrongly identified as.

It's hard to know what to do about it. I'd like to see a version of
the page that is vaguely acceptable to Brandt protected from any
editing for a few weeks until the heat has gone out of the situation.
As things stand, the article's being edited constantly, leading to
lots of discussion on the talk page and on other websites, which in
turn leads to more editing. Maybe if people got bored and wandered
off, it'd be possible to reach a more considered solution without
compromising our policies. However, I know lots of people would see
that as giving in to Brandt, and I respect that position too.

Sarah