[WikiEN-l] Original research vs. Fact-checking (Wikipedia:Biographies of living persons)

sydney poore poore5 at adelphia.net
Wed Dec 21 20:13:16 UTC 2005

MacGyverMagic/Mgm wrote:

> I agree with you Sydey, that biographies should be accurate, but
>
>taking information straight from the subject constitutes original
>research and since we can't see their identification papers it's not
>verifiable.
>
>How do you suppose we verify the correctness of a given birthdate if
>there's no newspapers or books stating the date the subject says is
>correct.
>
>(And don't forget you need to verify you're actually talking to the
>subject to begin with)
>Mgm

        We need to use the same methods that other organizations use.

        It is illegal to impersonate someone. Pointing this out will
        stop most people from falsifying records.

        Requesting 3 forms of ID with a signed form (If done on line
        electronic signatures are common.)

        Example of the Strictest method
        Proof of Identification
        http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/births/proofOfIdent.htm

        I doubt most news organizations require anything this strict.

        Sydney Poore