[WikiEN-l] Checkuser for all admins

geni geniice at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 23:53:47 UTC 2005

On 12/20/05, Sam Fentress (Asbestos) <asbestos999 at gmail.com> wrote:
> This may have been discussed before. If so, apologies.
>
> Why not make the checkuser function available to all admins? There are
> constant allegations of sockpuppetry, and I'm sure there are plenty of cases
> of ballot-stuffing or fake-consensus-building which go unnoticed because
> someone's suspicions weren't enough to both a developer with. Having the
> function available to all admins would cut down on a lot of this
> underhandedness.
>
> If there is a problem concerning privacy, such as making IP addresses
> available (I'm not sure exactly what the checkuser funcion shows), when
> couldn't it be modified  to only show which users have been created by the
> same IP (i.e., put in a name, and it shows you the other users)
>
> If there is a problem concerning privacy for legitamate uses of alternate
> accounts, such as keeping edits separate or not wanting to be stalked by
> another user, then I'm sure it couldn't be too hard to modify the code to
> show only those sockpuppets that have edited the same page. Even if we
> accept that there are legitamate uses for alternate accounts, such accounts
> ought never to edit the same page.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Sam

Cheackuser is pretty useless if you can't see IPs (are they the same
person or are they from the same uni for example). We have a lot of
admins. Frankly better safe than sorry.

Here is the full list of admins:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Listusers&group=sysop&limit=800&offset=0

How much do you really know about these people?

--
geni