[WikiEN-l] Checkuser for all admins

Sam Fentress (Asbestos) asbestos999 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 23:44:29 UTC 2005

This may have been discussed before. If so, apologies.

Why not make the checkuser function available to all admins? There are
constant allegations of sockpuppetry, and I'm sure there are plenty of cases
of ballot-stuffing or fake-consensus-building which go unnoticed because
someone's suspicions weren't enough to both a developer with. Having the
function available to all admins would cut down on a lot of this
underhandedness.

If there is a problem concerning privacy, such as making IP addresses
available (I'm not sure exactly what the checkuser funcion shows), when
couldn't it be modified  to only show which users have been created by the
same IP (i.e., put in a name, and it shows you the other users)

If there is a problem concerning privacy for legitamate uses of alternate
accounts, such as keeping edits separate or not wanting to be stalked by
another user, then I'm sure it couldn't be too hard to modify the code to
show only those sockpuppets that have edited the same page. Even if we
accept that there are legitamate uses for alternate accounts, such accounts
ought never to edit the same page.

Any thoughts?

Sam

--