[WikiEN-l] Properly-licensed images deleted without warning?

wikipedia2006 at dpbsmith.com wikipedia2006 at dpbsmith.com
Mon Dec 19 13:32:42 UTC 2005

Someone just informed me that most of the images in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eyeglass_prescription have been deleted.
These were all my original artwork. Image deletion being what it is, I
apparently have no way to review the edit history, but my possibly
faulty recollection is that they were all uploaded using what was the
proper licensing language at the time; that is, I _believe_ that they
all said "Copyright ©1998 by Daniel P. B. Smith and released under the
terms of the Wikipedia license."

At the time, people were told to use the specific language "terms of the
Wikipedia license," not "GFDL."

If this is true, then I am annoyed that the images were deleted without
notifying me first, as it should have been clear that they were
properly licensed. Yes, I should have remembered to tag them, but
whoever reviewed the images could have let me know... or, for that
matter, could have tagged them GFDL based on the language in the image
description.

Yes, I will reload the images when I get around to it.

I think people deleting images should be requested not to delete
immediately untagged images if they say "released under the terms of
the Wikipedia license."