[WikiEN-l] Defamatory Biographies - another problem looming for Wikipedia?

Tony Sidaway f.crdfa at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 23:05:53 UTC 2005

On 12/18/05, Keith Old <keithold at gmail.com> wrote:

> We need to pay particular attention to the biographies of contemporary
> biographies especially of controversial figures.

This is so head-poundingly obvious that I'm quite shocked that it's
being described as "another problem looming for Wikipedia."  It's a
constant problem for any information conduit, whether a magazine
publisher, a corporate email system, or a radio station.

What do you do?  You run a help desk, you take notice of complaints.
If your operation has American users, you make sure nobody who thinks
he has a first amendment right to keep on inserting unfounded nonsense
into articles remains able to do so.

Every publishing concern the size of Wikipedia has been sued.  Often.

Raise a legal fund.