[WikiEN-l] NPOV trainwreck

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Wed Dec 14 03:08:45 UTC 2005

G'day Sam,

> Needless to say I am offended and saddened that criticism of the
> committe is being dismissed as the ravings of extremists. That is not
> a good sign. It is no compliment when those on both sides of an issue
> sternly criticise the "neutral" referee. When that happens in sports,
> it is the clearest of signals that the umpire is in the wrong.

As an umpire in multiple sports, I've got to correct you there.  Or ...
perhaps you could correct us?

You see, it's commonly said in sporting folklore that, if both sides
hate the neutral umpire, he must be doing everything right.  If one side
loves him and the other doesn't, well ... we've got a problem.

Tell you what, if you can get yourself to Canberra, Australia, I can
arrange a series of lectures for you to give to my softball umpires.
How's that sound?

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"