[WikiEN-l] Simple interface tweak?

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 00:01:25 UTC 2005

On 12/13/05, Sherool <jamydlan at online.no> wrote:
> Main reason I believe is that page view logging is disabled for
> performance reasons. The only way to get such a feature to work would be
> to generate every page on the fly from the database on every view
> (otherwise the count would be out of date). As it is pages are cached by
> any number of Squid servers so the main database server have absolutely no
> idea how many people are watching any given page at any given time. If the
> caching was turned off the server(s) would probably outright die from
> overwork pretty much right away, it can barely cope as it is at peak times.

Why would it need to be calculated on the fly? Every time someone hits
watch, it adds one to the article's counter in some table. Every time
they hit unwatch, it removes one. True, you'd need to run some sort of
one-time update the first time around (or it could calculate it on the
fly once if a null value was found) but after that, barring database
errors, it would stay up to date, yes? Unless I am missing something
about the way the database works.

FF