[WikiEN-l] Next experiment: switch off AFD for a month. (was Guardian in defense of Wikipedia)

Tony Sidaway f.crdfa at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 16:58:13 UTC 2005

On 12/13/05, Anthony DiPierro <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
> On 12/13/05, Tony Sidaway <f.crdfa at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 12/13/05, Anthony DiPierro <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > At least a month is better than forever, but I think a month is too
> > > long to be manageable.
> >
> > I believe it's about the same amount of time we give suspected
> > copyright infringements.
> >
> Suspected copyright infringements is a completely different situation,
> though, because it invariably *requires* discussion.  That something
> is not a copyright infringement cannot be easily proven, if at all.
> That something has a citation in it can be easily proven.

That isn't the right question.  It's not whether somehting is
*verified*, it's whether it's *verifiable*.  It's  wiki.  Lack of
references (as in the very earliest version of the article Oxygen, see
the addendum to
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Oxygen&oldid=271622) can be
solved by editing.  It can never be solved by deletion, which should
be reserved for articles that seem, after an honest effort has failed,
to be unverifiable.