[WikiEN-l] Separate namespace for Deletions and other achives?

Rowan Collins rowan.collins at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 17:03:42 UTC 2005

On 10/12/05, M. Creidieki Crouch <creidieki at gmail.com> wrote:
> Could we make a separate namespace for all of the AfD archives?  Right
> now, [[Special:Randompage/Wikipedia]] only gives me AfD pages, and
> doing a search in the Wikipedia namespace is near impossible.  We
> could call it "Deletion" and only put the AfD stuff in it, or we could
> call it "Archives" and put some other stuff in it (FAC, RFA).

I think the idea is good, but neither of those names quite hits the
nail on the head - there are all sorts of archives which shouldn't be
in there, and no reason to have to move pages *into* the "archive"
space rather than creating them in the first place. [Indeed,
performing such moves would require admin access whatever the
permissions of the namespace, as the point would be somewhat lost if
we didn't delete the redirects afterwards]

Meanwhile, Magnus has begun work on finally automating such pages
completely [see
http://mail.wikimedia.org/pipermail/wikipedia-l/2005-December/043073.html],
and has called the corresponding namespace "Tasks", which I think
seems a very sensible name (although the actual tasks currently have
ugly numeric names, which needs fixing IMHO).

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]