[WikiEN-l] Turn off AfD

Tony Sidaway f.crdfa at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 11:02:30 UTC 2005

On 12/11/05, Mark Gallagher <m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au> wrote:

> What I would like to see is a sort of category-based deletion.  User
> bungs a {{dp|18 December 2005}} (say) template on it, which prints the
> following text in a disgusting pastel box at the top:
>
>    This article has been proposed for deletion on: 18 December 2005.
>    Please see the relevant discussion on the _talk page_.
>
> The article is added to a category, [[Category:Proposed deletions/18
> December 2005]], where people can go and see what's been proposed for
> deletion lately, and turn up on talkpages and do their little thang.
> Meanwhile, the person who put up the template writes out his reasoning
> on the talk page.

I don't think having a category here is more useful than (or as useful
as) having a list.  A list has a history and you can pop it on your
watchlist to see when its content changes (as new articles would be
proposed for deletion or older ones are removed after discussion).

There are three problems with a category:

Firstly, our current display software doesn't handle categories with a
large number of entries.

Secondly there's no easy way (as there is with a list) to see which
articles were recently added; you need to use your memory for this
(mine has a chronic malfunction)

Thirdly you cannot watchlist a category and thus track changes in its contents.

Our current AfD system where we have a list of transcluded lists is
probably the best that can be done with our software.