[WikiEN-l] Turn off AfD

Mark Gallagher m.g.gallagher at student.canberra.edu.au
Sun Dec 11 02:32:15 UTC 2005

G'day Anthony,

> On 12/9/05, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
>>On 12/9/05, Anthony DiPierro <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
>>>Yes, you've confused what I've said.  I think we should add more
>>>*objective* criteria to the speedy deletion candidates, not
>>>*subjective* ones.
>>
>>If totaly objective criteria don't turn up much outside maths
>
> I find it hard to believe that we can't come up with objective
> criteria for articles that everyone agrees should be deleted.
> Verifiability, for instance, is an objective criterion.

Verifiability is necessary, but not sufficient, for an encyclopaedic
article.  But not everyone agrees on that (IIRC, you yourself have gone
to great --- perhaps even "extreme" --- lengths to show your disagreement).

What I would like to see is a sort of category-based deletion.  User
bungs a {{dp|18 December 2005}} (say) template on it, which prints the
following text in a disgusting pastel box at the top:

   This article has been proposed for deletion on: 18 December 2005.
   Please see the relevant discussion on the _talk page_.

The article is added to a category, [[Category:Proposed deletions/18
December 2005]], where people can go and see what's been proposed for
deletion lately, and turn up on talkpages and do their little thang.
Meanwhile, the person who put up the template writes out his reasoning
on the talk page.

Apparently something similar was proposed in the past, but never got off
the ground.  I certainly don't expect writing this on the list to help
(but, y'never know) --- I dare say the end result of one or two articles
being deleted (omigosh!) rules this idea out of consideration.

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"