[WikiEN-l] Re: Wikipedia is "gold dust" (Guardian article and leader)

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Sat Dec 10 19:42:51 UTC 2005

On 10 Dec 2005 at 18:53, Tony Sidaway <f.crdfa at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/9/05, Arwel Parry <arwel at cartref.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > >reader-ckTX/lAc7te9FHfhHBbuYA at public.gmane.org"
> >
> > Hmph! That's an interesting feature of the mailing list software.
> > The actual email address is reader (at) guardian.co.uk
>
> You mean someone actually wrote some asinine bit of code to turn email
> addresses into nonsense?  Ridiculous.

When you read the list archives online, the e-mail addresses are
intentionally screwed-up, but when you subscribe to it and read it in
a normal mail program they're undamaged.

> Every cloud has a silver lining.  Thanks to this affair we seem to
> have acquired our first leader articles in national press, and (I'm
> rather proud of this) a definite article.  Now we're The Wikipedia.

Interestingly, the comic book character Batman started out as The
Batman when he first appeared in 1939, but with fame he apparently
lost his definite article.

--
== Dan ==