[WikiEN-l] Proposal: Article Improvement Weeks! (was Turn off article creation AND deletion.)

Carbonite carbonite.wp at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 18:55:10 UTC 2005

I'm starting to like where this proposal is going. I have some suggestions
that I'd like to throw out for feedback:

- AfD would be turned off for the first two weeks of the month (1st -14th).
During this time no nominations or "votes" are allowed. Any article not
nominated by the last day of the previous month would have to wait until the
15th. Existing AfDs would continued to be closed. Speedy deletion criteria
would still be in effect.

- The second week of the month (8th-14th), all mainspace article creation
would be turned off. This could be enforced through software by only
allowing article creation by admins (and this would be strongly
discouraged). Talk pages and pages in other namespaces could be created by
all registered users.

- Starting on the 15th, Wikipedia would return to operating as usual (for
the rest of the month).

I believe that the result of these changes would be to create a cycle in
which more articles were developed into "real" articles rather than
remaining substandard. It also cuts AfD's status to part-time. There
probably would be a flood of nomination on the 15th of each month, but by
this point every article would have had at least one full week to improve
and likely closer to two weeks.

Again, this is just a rough proposal, but I believe it could be developed
into a very workable policy.

Carbonite