[WikiEN-l] Turn off AfD

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Fri Dec 9 17:01:59 UTC 2005

On 12/9/05, MacGyverMagic/Mgm <macgyvermagic at gmail.com> wrote:
> Basically, I agree with Keith here.
> We need some centralized discussion. Not only is does it take a lot
> less time for admins to manage one central place and delete what needs
> to be deleted, it's also easier to refer people to that place.
>
> Also without AFD, there's still too many articles that can't get
> speedied because of a technicality. "More than one person bvut still
> vanity" and "advertising" come to mind. They're deleted 99% (figure of
> speech) of the time and AFD research shows those are the kind of
> deletions often uncontested.
>
> How are we going to get rid of non-speediable crap without AFD?
> How is everyone going to have input (the wiki way)?
>
> Turning off AFD even for one day will cause too much of a mess.
> Sure, we can clean it up eventually, but why open your bag of trash
> indoors when the garbage man is waiting outside?

Why not spend the day organizing the mess that's already there?  The
biggest problem with AFD is that the same questions get asked over and
over and over again.

Anyway, I don't understand how turning AFD off for one day would cause
a mess.  It'd just double the number of nominations the next day.
Considering the growth rate, that's going to happen sooner or later
anyway.  Might as well get a feel for how it's going to work.

> No matter what method you use, deletion is always going to have some
> ill-will with it. It's something that can't be avoided until we all
> reach common ground, and stop taking deletions personal.

How do we reach common ground?  Certainly not by just keeping things
the way they are now.  You could probably eliminate 99% of the
ill-will surrounding deletion by simply giving people access to the
content that was deleted.