[WikiEN-l] Anons banned from creating articles

Anthony DiPierro wikilegal at inbox.org
Wed Dec 7 15:41:34 UTC 2005

On 12/7/05, The Cunctator <cunctator at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/6/05, Martin Osterman <stonewallgrant at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On what grounds do you suggest that this is a "permanent policy change" in
> > the guise of an experiment?
>
> Primarily because experiments are better designed. I think part of the
> problem is that what I'm thinking of as an experiment is different
> from how Jimbo's using the word. He's probably just using it to mean
> "I'm making a change and I'm not 100% certain of what will happen,
> even though I'm pretty sure it'll be good."

I took it to mean "I'm making a change and I'm not 100% certain of
what will happen, but after a few weeks I'll re-evaluate whether or
not it was a good idea."

> My suggestion is also based in a little appreciation for the
> immutability of human nature, which suggests that all institutions
> institutionalize, that is, tend towards restrictiveness, hierarchy,
> and centralization of control. Steps in that direction are rarely
> reversed. This is a small step, but its direction is clear.

Well, yeah, institutions tend to do this, because this tends to be a
good thing.  Stuff tends to not get done otherwise.

Of course, Wikipedia is released under the GFDL, so if those that
control the institutions make the wrong decisions, they will find that
they are soon not in control of very much of anything.

Anthony