[WikiEN-l] David Hager is listed as convicted rapist

Kirill Lokshin kirill.lokshin at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 21:21:14 UTC 2005

On 12/6/05, David Gerard <fun at thingy.apana.org.au> wrote:
> Steve Block wrote:
>
> > I agree with you, but community consensus doesn't.  I recently tried to
> > get the criminal categories renamed to include the words convicted but
> > was told that was unworkable since Butch Cassiday was never convicted,
> > or something.
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Categories_for_deletion/Log/2005_November_15#Criminals
>

> Well, I guess community consensus trumps NPOV ... except of course it
> doesn't. That would get a "don't be dense" category deletion.

I'm not quite sure why this would be a NPOV issue, unless we're going
to start deleting any category for which the membership may be
contentious.

To continue with the example cited above, is describing Butch Cassidy
as a "prolific bank and train robber" in the article text permitted
while placing him in the bank robbers category is not?  That seems to
be a rather unintuitive approach to categorization. Or are the
statement and the category both NPOV violations since he was never
convicted of robbing banks (even though no sources dispute the
assertion)?

Kirill Lokshin