[WikiEN-l] David Hager is listed as convicted rapist

Peter Mackay peter.mackay at bigpond.com
Mon Dec 5 03:03:44 UTC 2005

Prisons are full of innocent people. Just ask them.

If a person has not admitted a crime, then it may be that they did not do it
and the legal system made a mistake. It happens. Or that the prosecution
case accepted by judge and jury was inaccurate. Or the defence was
incompetent. Or that the convicted criminal has rationalised his crime in
his own mind to something else, something justifiable.

How can we possibly know?

If a person had admitted guilt, then there is no problem. We may describe
them as a criminal. But if they maintained their innocence and were found
guilty instead of pleading guilty, then we should use conventional phrasing
to indicate this, by describing someone as a convicted rapist, rather than a
rapist.

In a case like marital rape, where much of the evidence would neccesarily
revolve around the conflicting statements of the two participants of an act
presumably performed in private, then how could we know what did or did not
take place? We know that he was found guilty of rape, we don't know if he
did it. Best to stick to the facts.

Peter (Skyring)