[WikiEN-l] A note on how the list moderation works

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Mon Dec 5 07:45:40 UTC 2005

We had some confusion over this (Sydney Poore's post being delayed), so
here is how it works.

* Anyone can join wikien-l. You get all posts from that moment. If you
make a post, it's moderated by default.
* When we go through the mod queue (I hit it most weekdays), we take any
first posts and (in general) accept the post and unmoderate the poster.
* If it happens no mod looks at the post ... it sits there until one does!
* The spam still comes in by the SHITLOAD. Our sincere apologies if
anything gets lost by accident ... it's rare but it happens.

We don't have a moderators' rota, it's pretty ad-hoc. But if one of the
others could check the queue Saturday and Sunday that'd be helpful ;-)

This is more work than it should be. But moderating people's first posts
has been fantastically useful in keeping the trolls at bay, particularly
the ones kicked off the list repeatedly.

- d.