[WikiEN-l] If in doubt, don't delete

Tony Sidaway f.crdfa at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 00:24:37 UTC 2005

The belief that certain verifiable, neutral, or potentially verifiable
and neutral, articles must be deleted from wikipedia is one of the
most seductive, most destructive siren calls on Wikipedia.  All that
stands in its way is the principle that we actually need a concrete
reason to delete something: if in doubt, don't delete.

There is a move, mainly by a single editor but with some apparent
support, to remove this pivotal phrase from our deletion policy, or to
sideline it as a historical curiosity.

Please let us keep this.  We don't delete stuff unless we have a
bloody good reason to do so.  Otherwise what's the point?