[WikiEN-l] David Hager is listed as convicted rapist

JAY JG jayjg at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 4 22:43:09 UTC 2005

>From: Matt Brown <morven at gmail.com>
>
>I responded to this user previously on the helpdesk.  The issue is
>that David Hager was accused of marital rape by his former wife, who
>got an article published in The Nation about this, among other places.
>  Thus the allegations, true or not, are documented and citable, and
>thus cannot be removed as unsourced attacks.
>
>However, he should NOT be listed in any categories that imply he has
>been convicted of a crime, because he has not.

I've been have a months-long debate with another editor on this topic.  I've
been stating that we include people in "Criminals" categories if they have
been convicted of a crime by an independent judiciary.  The other editor
insists that we have to decide (by some means) whether or not they have
actually committed a crime, conviction is not enough a good enough
yardstick.  I'd be interested in other thoughts here.

Regards,

Jay.