[WikiEN-l] Re: yet another image lost for posterity

Fastfission fastfission at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 19:09:48 UTC 2005

On 12/3/05, Tom Cadden <thomcadden at yahoo.ie> wrote:
> This screwing up of articles has been bugging me for weeks, as has deletions without any notifications. I hear all the complaints about how time consuming it is contacting people and how few reply and how time consuming it is cleaning up articles. My response is simple: tough. If you want to delete images, you make sure you don't screw up things in the way you do it.

"Deletions without notifications" is a different thing than "deleting
images which are used by articles". I agree the latter should be
avoided and think it *generally* is.

As for the former, it seems more practical to reply "tough" as a
response as well. If you want a "fair use" image to stick around, make
sure it is used in an article correctly. I'm not sure what other
justification there can be in this respects. Images used in articles
are not generally deleted unless their tagging is as "fair use". "Fair
use" images have no right to exist, legally speaking, outside of
articles. It's really as simple as that.

FF