[WikiEN-l] An actual RC patrol? (was Openness is a means to an end. Nothing more)

geni geniice at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 17:51:44 UTC 2005

On 12/1/05, Justin Cormack <justin at specialbusservice.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 17:10 +0000, David Gerard wrote:
> > geni wrote:

> > >RC patrol is reaching it's pratical limit. I'm seeing more vandalism
> > >on my watchlist and no matter how good the people doing it there is
> > >simply no way for them to know if a large percentage of it is true or
> > >not
> >

> > Would it be an idea to make RC patrol organised, i.e. people (admins
> > or not) sign on for shifts, checking all edits in a given block of
> > time? Two patrollers for each time period should be enough, three or
> > four for evenings US time. You do RC patrol - would something like
> > this make sense?
> >
> > (I don't know how long the time periods would be - an hour? 30
> > minutes? 10 minutes?)
>
> Unworkable - who knows when they can do it.

Obsesives who have wikipedia nights and the like.

> Just queue new articles so they have to go via an admin before
> joining the main namespace (they can sit in New: before that).
>
> Not much code.

Due to the level of new page patrol that is one area that is pretty
much covered and to be honest all the admin viewing in the world is
not going to be able to detect false info in a boarderline notable
person.

vandalism that hits already existing articles is more of a problem at
this point.

--
geni