[WikiEN-l] Wik's Vandalism

Martin Harper martin at myreddice.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Jun 16 18:00:36 UTC 2004

> I don't see we even need an AC ruling. This is simple vandalism.
> We block vandals all the time.

I think this is precisely correct. Vandalism of Wikipedia is unauthorised and forbidden;
blocks and reverts can be used freely; ISPs can be complained to, etc. An AC ban
would serve no additional purpose, beyond making us feel good about our collective
selves. In the unlikely event that Wik attempts to return and contribute in a bona fide
manner, the AC can issue a year's ban, but otherwise there are other cases we should
be looking at.

It would be nice if IPs of logged in edits were made public, as with logged out, as then
individuals could take the initiative in contacting ISPs about abuse.

I've unprotected Wik's user and user talk pages, so we can have/link this discussion on
Wikipedia proper, which will be good for keeping people informed. As and when the
problem stops, they can be reverted and reprotected.

-Martin