[WikiEN-l] Arbitration Committee term lengths

Angela beesley at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 04:39:59 UTC 2004

I don't think three years is excessive. It might seem a long time
since Wikipedia is a relatively young project, but the experience
which arbitrators will build up during that three year period will be
invaluable in assisting them in making good decisions.

If there is a danger that people will feel "Wikipedia is somehow run
by a cabal" then I believe the solution to that is to enlarge the size
of the arbitration committee, not to reduce the length of time
arbitrators can serve.

Having elections more regularly could negatively affect the way
arbitrators work, since they would be more concerned about getting
re-elected than doing the job for which they were elected. The
election process should not be allowed to interfere with the workings
of the committee, and I believe that making arbitrators go through
this so regularly could be damaging.

Angela
(just my view, not necessarily that of the Foundation)