[WikiEN-l] Arbitration Committee term lengths

blankfaze blankfaze at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 01:47:03 UTC 2004

I realise that the lengths of ArbCom terms are set by Jimbo, and
whilst I recognise his authority in such matters, I would like to
postulate that the length of the terms is perhaps excessive.

I say this not as a losing candidate in the recent election but merely
as a concerned Wikipedian.  Two and three years is a looong time,
especially on the internet.  I think that (especially given the -50%
returns of 6 "winners" in the recent elections) terms so long only
perpetuate notions that Wikipedia is somehow run by a cabal.

I myself would prefer the terms to be staggered at six months, twelve
months, and eighteen months.  However, I realise some people would be
concerned about going through the nasty election process every six
months.  So perhaps we should develop better election procedure.  Or
perhaps 12-18-24 months would be more feasible.

Just some thoughts.