[WikiEN-l] Rambot the User_talk: Spambot

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Wed Dec 15 10:18:02 UTC 2004

Rebecca wrote

> Equally, there isn't any consensus against this. I received his
> message; I didn't mind at all.

I had a personalised version, a little while ago.  It wasn't expressed in a
way that made it clear what I would be signing up for; so I haven't done
anything about it.

> Frankly, unless this sort of thing becomes a regular occurrence, I
> don't see any need for action at all.

How annoying would it be to find that 'you have messages' was some sort of
bulk mail: "vote for me", "X has vandalised this ...", "all good Wikipedians
must now come to the aid of the party", and so on?

It would be annoying.  And undermine the sense of community.  Spam me not.

Charles