[WikiEN-l] New policy proposal

David Gerard fun at thingy.apana.org.au
Mon Dec 13 10:09:38 UTC 2004

Robin Shannon (robin.shannon at gmail.com) [041213 00:24]:

> I've had this idea kicking around in my mind for a while. What would
> people think about a third tab for references. ie. The main article
> tab, the talk tab, and the references tab, and the subscripted numbers
> (or whatever) would be links to the references tab. i mentioned this
> to tim starling, and i dont think that he saw any particualarly big
> tech problem with this.

I see a slight problem in using it to reduce contention: that sometimes the
recalcitrant editor has to be hit over the goshdarn head with the
references for them to sink in. I'd rather have them rendered in <small> at
the bottom of the article if they're not in the main text.

OTOH we could have an option, cinse developer time is of course copious and
free [*].

OTOOH, I suggest we get editors into the general habit of providing backup
for their assertions, see what form references tend to take then write the
feature to facilitate that. How it's done on other Wikipedias would be
important to check too.

- d.

[*] probably not