[WikiEN-l] New policy proposal

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Sun Dec 12 05:33:59 UTC 2004

At 09:48 AM 12/12/2004 +1100, David Gerard wrote:
>What we need is to encourage a culture of including references. I'm trying
>to get myself better at this ... If we can get the reference syntax
>implemented, that would help tremendously. (And I'm dreaming of it doing
>fancy reference-indexing things.)

Once upon a time long long ago I remember putting in a feature request for
a simple "footnote" markup, along the lines of adding [[Note:blah blah
blah]] anywhere in the article and having it turn into a superscripted
number linking to an anchor for the text "blah blah blah" down at the very
bottom of the page. Something like that could be suitable for references
too, though it wouldn't be nice for making multiple references to the same
source scattered throughout an article. Maybe a [[Ref:blah blah blah]]
markup that automatically combines identical "blah blah" text into the same
reference at the bottom?