[WikiEN-l] Deletion Poetry

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Sat Oct 25 03:37:54 UTC 2003

Ed Poor wrote in part:

>If I think anything needs deleting, I just delete it. Right away.

>This is a WIKI, fer crying out loud!!!

But it is, in the words of one wiki (not ours!) "a very unwiki wiki".

One example of this is the fact that most users cannot undo deletions
(nor undeletions, for that matter).  Ultimately, /this/ is the reason
that we have to worry so much over deletion policy.
Otherwise, deletion policy would be like all other edit policy,
and admins would only get involved in deletion/undeletion wars
(which just be like any other edit war).

There are reasons for this particular unwiki feature, of course.
But there it is, all the same.

-- Toby