[WikiEN-l] potential VfD abuse?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Oct 23 19:57:17 UTC 2003

Sascha Noyes wrote:

>On Thursday 23 October 2003 12:27 pm, Ray Saintonge wrote:
>
>>A better solution would be to accept his votes at face value, worth
>>neither more nor less than anyone else's.  Obviously he has a strong
>>attitude against deletions in general.  There should be no obligation
>>for him to justify his votes.
>>

>Of course there is a need to justify votes in contentious cases, and most
>regular contributers to VfD do so. VfD, despite its title, is not just a
>voting booth but also a discussion area about deletion. How can one make an
>informed decision if one does not know the motivations of the people casting
>the votes?

I don't waste a lot of time at VfD, and I don't visit the Village Pump
much anymore.  I find that the amount of time that I spend on the
mailing lists more than adequately fills the time that I have available
for controversy.  So the ones who enjoy working on VfD shouldn't
complain about others having different priorities.  Maybe the people who
don't justify themselves do so because they don't feel the need to
engage in the same old tired defences over and over and over again.  And
why should someone else'e motivation affect your decision to make an
informed vote?

Perhaps we should ask the people who put things on VfD to explain what
they did to improve the situation before they made that request. ;-)

Ec