[WikiEN-l] Re: Deletion policy needed

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Oct 22 22:05:57 UTC 2003

Alex Rosen wrote:

>>Wheteher someone is "notable" is more often than not a determination
>>based on somebody's POV.
>>

>Well it's frequently based on someone's opinion, which to me is
>different than POV. I'd say that *sometimes* it's based on somebody's
>POV, but then so are lots of other things on Wikipedia - e.g. whether a
>particular article is POV or not is sometimes based on somebody's POV.
>We live with that.

The distinction between POV and opinion can be a bit of a hairspltter.

>So if something doesn't have to notable to be in Wikipedia, then would
>an article on every single elementary school in the world be OK?

That wouldn't bother me.

>How
>about every single person in the world? If so, then how will we ever get
>*done*?

Exactly!  It's self-limiting, so why bother with a rule? :-)

>>>Official or not, many people seem to use an 'important' standard when it
>>>
>>>comes to biographical articles.  'Wiki Is Not a Biographical Dictionary'
>>>
>>>(wherever that is) describes teh policy a lot seem to follow.
>>>
>>The rule is that Wikipedia is not a dictionary, biographical or
>>otherwise.  That is no bar to biographical articles which are an
>>important part of the 'pedia.
>>

>The actual page he's referring to is
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Criteria_for_Inclusion_of_Biographies,
>it has nothing do with dictionaries.

The first line there says "Feel free to ignore it."  I'll be glad to.
If it has nothing to do with dictionaries why was the term "biographical
dictionary" used? :-)

Ec