[WikiEN-l] possible plagiarism

Eric Demolli demolli at unice.fr
Tue Oct 21 19:56:35 UTC 2003

BTW could www.nationmaster.com use a larger font for wikipedia license info ?
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: steven l. rubenstein
  To: wikien-l at Wikipedia.org
  Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 7:43 PM
  Subject: [WikiEN-l] possible plagiarism

  I have been removing text to talk, generally concerning the Ottoman Empire (articles on the Ottoman Triumvirate, Suleiman the Magnificent, Ormus, etc.).  These seem to be plagiarized from  WWW.nationmaster.com, which

    holds copyright on all aspects of this site (including but not limited to content and layout), with the exception of the text from articles taken from Wikipedia and where copyrights are held by our sources
  Before I remove any more text to talk, I'd appreciate it if someone can check this for me.  As far as I can tell, the text in the nationmaster encyclopedia is not attributed to Wikipedia, so I have assumed that one of our contributors has been copying from them, rather than vice versa.  But I'd appreciate it if someone else can look into this further before I make any more changes,

  Thanks,

  Steve

  Steven L. Rubenstein
  Associate Professor
  Department of Sociology and Anthropology
  Bentley Annex
  Ohio University
  Athens, Ohio 45701