[WikiEN-l] possible plagiarism

steven l. rubenstein rubenste at ohiou.edu
Tue Oct 21 17:43:37 UTC 2003

I have been removing text to talk, generally concerning the Ottoman Empire
(articles on the Ottoman Triumvirate, Suleiman the Magnificent, Ormus,
etc.).  These seem to be plagiarized from  WWW.nationmaster.com, which
>holds copyright on all aspects of this site (including but not limited to
>content and layout), with the exception of the text from articles taken
>from Wikipedia and where copyrights are held by our sources
Before I remove any more text to talk, I'd appreciate it if someone can
check this for me.  As far as I can tell, the text in the nationmaster
encyclopedia is not attributed to Wikipedia, so I have assumed that one of
our contributors has been copying from them, rather than vice versa.  But
I'd appreciate it if someone else can look into this further before I make
any more changes,

Thanks,

Steve

Steven L. Rubenstein
Associate Professor
Department of Sociology and Anthropology
Bentley Annex
Ohio University
Athens, Ohio 45701