[WikiEN-l] Balance in content (was: Eric's abuse of his sysop powers)

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Tue Oct 21 13:07:51 UTC 2003

JTD:

> NPOV requires balence in content.

I disagree. Otherwise, I would have instantly reverted the anonymous
changes to [[Sun Myung Moon]], [[Moonies]], etc. which "unbalanced"
those articles.

I purposely let the balance shift toward the 'anti-Moon' end of the
spectrum. Since then, I have gradually been fixing up the article.

I see no problem with an article about Rev. Moon being 80%, 85%, even
90% about CRITICISMS PEOPLE MAKE about him. There is no reason to revert
such additions, and the 'unbalanced' article doesn't bother me at all.

If any "balance" is needed, we might try to estimate HOW MANY PEOPLE
think a certain way. If this means an article says that 99% of the world
loves Theresa and 1% hate her -- while the article is 1/3 hagiography
(praise) and 2/3 vilification (criticism), what's wrong with that?

As long as the critical POV is attributed to its advocates and
sources...

"Uncle" Ed