[WikiEN-l] Deletion policy needed (Buffer)

Stevertigo utilitymuffinresearch2 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 17 02:41:55 UTC 2003

>Jake Nelson <jnelson at soncom.com> wrote:
> Indeed. I don't like the listing of it for deletion,
> VFD is far overtaxed as
> it is... but I found Cleanup entirely unreadable.

I agree.

FYI: The basic idea that Cimon Avaro on a Pogo Stick
and I agree on is that comment needs to be limited. I
think that sigs (without timestamps) should work fine.
 Cimon thought that the whole thing should work on
anonymity. His idea was to de-politicize it by
removing any names, so that people would'nt go
quarrelling with each other --instead, they would just
take care of business.   I dont agree with him, but I
now understand his reasoning, and I appreciate the
depth to which he gave it thought.  That said, I think
that *that* aspect of our experiment failed --because
its just not interesting if its not personalized.
People like personally making contacts and such --
maintained and trusted identies facilitate progress.

To say that dealing impersonally with people would
make things run smoother, is really not workable with
human beings. Robots maybe.  The sig represents a
whole identity we can make up in our heads -- I have
no idea how people here picture me, but you all do
have a picture, nonetheless, though all youve seen is
my words.  so... First change on Cleanup -- allow
sigs. no timestamp. (Three ~ only.)

Second, come up with some way to deal with headers --
as they are used for breaks.  Maybe just a ===*===
between each entry. I dunno. If only there was a way
to insert numbered breaks.  If only there was a way to
insert an *hourstamp ( no minutes) as a break header.

Third, a cleanup for the cleanup page process needs to
be put into motion. We cant have week old stuff laying
around. The original idea was to have it be there only
a day. this may be too fast.  Three might be better,
and again-- each page can get the attn it needs --
limited the number sent to VFD to seriously
controversial deletions.

Fourth: As for informal deletions --its always been
controversial that sysops just go ahead and delete
stuff -- even if its fairly nonsensical.  In fact this
is may be a typical cause of some grudges between old
people and new people -- as newbies at first have no
clue whatsoever. ( I didnt).   Do we drive tender
newbies away by running roughshod over their
contributions?  I dunno.  I suggested making it a rule
that *all* deletions with at least a plausible *title
(that may stub a genuine article) be sent to Cleanup.
It may simply need a redirect, or what have you --but
these may in fact seed some development, and putting
these on Cleanup would give these items a longer life
than they have on Recent changes.

Didnt mean to go on so long....
~S~

~S~