"Mental Health Service Consumer" Trolls was Re: [WikiEN-l] mad trolls

Geoff Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Wed Oct 15 22:19:13 UTC 2003

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Alex R. wrote:

> From: "sannse" <sannse at delphiforums.com>
> > Stevertigo wrote (in part)
> >
> > > Not to mention-- a "mentally ill" "diagnosis" should
> > > not be taken pejoratively -- it may in fact be a very
> > > NPOV term to use for people whose behaviour is
> > > extremely irrational. Compare this to calling "jerks"
> > > for example.  Theres a difference.
> >
> > A very good point.  I think such a "diagnosis" /is/ often taken
> > pejoratively, but you are very right that it shouldn't be.  And as Jimbo
> > said (paraphrasing) some speculation about causes and motives can be
> useful.
> >
> > I guess I need to look at my own attitudes to mental illness here.
> >
> This organization is a good place to start understanding
> what "mental health service consumers" or just "mental
> health consumers" (the terms used by most individuals
> who are or should be under some kind of treatment)
> have to deal with on a daily basis:
> http://www.nami.org/template.cfm?section=Living_With

Uh, what is wrong with the term ``patient"?

If I see a doctor or LPN about a broken arm or hayfever, I am
considered a patient. If I see a therapist or psychiatrist about
depression, schizophrenia, or Attention Deficit Disorder, I
should also be considered a patient.

We are talking about illness, yes?

Geoff