[WikiEN-l] "New" logo JIMBO, PLEASE INTERVENE

Dante Alighieri dalighieri at digitalgrapefruit.com
Wed Oct 15 17:28:39 UTC 2003

At 08:10 AM 10/15/2003, Erik wrote:

>At the point the logo was updated, there was virtually unanimous consensus
>that the Nohat variant was an improvement (20 in favor, 2 against). This
>satisfied the condition of the last stage of our contest, namely,
>optimization by consensus. As in all such consensus discussions, only
>interested parties participate. If you had looked around on Meta, you
>would have noticed that these discussions have been going on since Oct 1.
>What do you think where the variant submissions came from? The variant
>process was broadly advertised at least on the English Wikipedia.

That's all well and good. There's just one problem. The submission of logos
was announced on the main page of the Wikipedia. The voting for logos was
announced on the main page of the W. The second round of voting was
announced on the main page of the W. The final selection was announced on
the main page of the W.

Where was the revision process announced?

I'm sorry if I don't spend as much time on the meta as on the Wikipedia
proper, but there wasn't even (as far as I can tell) a single mention on
the Wikipedia proper that the logo was actually being CHANGED from the
initial winner to the nohat version. I was aware that there was
conversation taking place about potential revisions, but frankly, I assumed
that we would all be notified when someone was considering taking the
drastic step of actually changing the logo live. Working on something is
all well and good, but when you post it live to the 'pedia, I think you
need something a little more than a consensus of 20 behind it.

I would expect that a simple message to at LEAST the list ( "Hey, we're
trying to get consensus on a logo, please come weigh in") or on the VP or
on the Main Page. Frankly, I'm a little disappointed.

I'm also a bit offended at the implications that I'm hearing that I must
not have really been interested, because I wasn't able to find the
discussion. Frankly, I don't spend my entire life on the Wikipedia, and if
something is happening in a back corner with no advertisement, I may not
find it, even if I care about it.

-----
Dante Alighieri
dalighieri at digitalgrapefruit.com

"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their
neutrality in times of great moral crisis."
    -Dante Alighieri, 1265-1321