[WikiEN-l] "New" logo JIMBO, PLEASE INTERVENE

Stevertigo utilitymuffinresearch2 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 15 17:09:32 UTC 2003

--- Erik Moeller <erik_moeller at gmx.de> wrote:

> At the point the logo was updated, there was
> virtually unanimous consensus
> that the Nohat variant was an improvement (20 in
> favor, 2 against).

>This satisfied the condition of the last stage of our
> contest, namely,
> optimization by consensus.

Excuse any redundancy, with Erik but: He's exactly
right. The process of selecting the PM logo ( if you
were there, Dante ) had a problem in that most logos
were done by non-professionals with little eye for
detail or skill to improve them.  As such each "logo"
was understood to be an *amateur rendering of a
concept -- to have minor modifications later.

Ironically, the improvement process was a bit loose:
People took radically different approaches to the PM
logo, rather than simply improve upon the original.
All useful for generating ideas, though. And Nohat
spent a lot of time tweaking it little by little to
get a polished and professional look for the final.
I did some colorized versions of the PMNH logo here:
http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_logo_variants/Stevertigo

>As in all such consensus
> discussions, only
> interested parties participate.

Not to mention there was a [[meta:Logo feedback]] link
on the front page -- after the change was made (until
someone took it down).  The first NH version a couple
days ago was a bit dark, and people gave feedback on
that.  And it still can use some tweaking!  There are
some jaggies in the version on wiki now that need to
be smoothed over.  Versions to be used for other
projects/ appications (posters, etc) need to be dealt
with independently.  Im not sure if Nohat is burned
out on it -- he spent a *lot* of time on it -- as did
Paul to come up with it (With GNU only software, no
less) in the first place.

~S~