[WikiEN-l] Literals are stupid

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Mon Oct 13 19:44:27 UTC 2003

Calling other users "stupid" is counter-productive. I wish I could say
it was "stupid", but then someone would pounce on that and yell
"Gotcha!".

We're so concerned with who's right and wrong and fair or unfair (and I
point three fingers back at myself for each one I point at others), that
we are quickly derailed from the track of trying to figure out a useful
policy and create a passionate train wreck.

This seems to happen right after each time someone gets banned; maybe
it's an outlet for extra hostile energy? I guess all the carbon dioxide
we exhale leads to lobal warming of the brain (bad joke, Ed, don't give
up your day job for stand-up comedy! ;-)

So let's not take everything literally, which is the subject of this
peppy little editorial. Let's go back to basics: Assume Good Faith, and
all that.

Ed Poor