[WikiEN-l] User names

Jake Nelson jnelson at soncom.com
Mon Oct 13 02:55:10 UTC 2003

I'm somewhat surprised this whole thing didn't break out earlier...
I normally oppose pretty much every form of censorship. I think that those
offended easily are weak-minded and need to toughen up. However, there is a
case for "professionalism"... too many of the masses who could make use are
excessively PC, PR-sensitive types. It's a tricky question, and with
absolute rulings leading, as absolutes tend to, to insanity (see the
postings where people's first names are called opinions), we have to find a
sensible middle ground.
I found 'Jesus is Lord!' a little much... but I dislike the name more for
style than content. I don't like it, but don't know that ruling it out is a
good idea. 'Drolsi Susej' works for me... subtlety goes a long way, and it
becomes a unique identifier.
'Liberal' is fine. If someone new came in to use that, I'd have absolutely
no issue. I strongly oppose people having multiple names, however...
(Jimbo's the only one who I can see as having a valid reason to.)
'Non-liberals are stupid' is unacceptable. There is no question in my mind
that if any username should be disallowed, this one should be.
TMC and Saddam were both clear cases.

And LDan: Chronological age is no big factor (at least not to me, and I feel
not to many), which is much of why I dislike when people call actions
'childlike', 'juvenile', or 'immature'... hell, I'm still a teenager (until
Saturday).

-- Jake