[WikiEN-l] User names

Matthew Woodcraft mattheww at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Sun Oct 12 12:00:24 UTC 2003

Daniel Mayer wrote:
> Where did I say that they should be banned? Changing a user name does
> not ban the user. Think of it as a dress code; the great majority of
> employers do not allow their employees to wear shirts expressing
> controversial opinions.

I think this is a good analogy.

And, as Wikipedia is not our employer, I think imposing a dress code is
inappropriate.

There was recently a discussion on one of the Debian mailing lists
about having a dress code for people on the Debian stand at some Expo
or other. There was a strong consensus against this idea.

-M-