[WikiEN-l] Cool Off Ban

Daniel Ehrenberg littledanehren at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 6 19:30:00 UTC 2003

--- Christopher Mahan <chris_mahan at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Regarding temporary bans,
>
> How much trouble would it be to create a timed ban?
>
> I imagine such bans could be called Cool Off Periods
> of say 12, 24,
> 36, or 72 hours, both parties in an edit war being
> banned for the
> same amount of time, so that neither feels the W has
> sided with the
> other party?

I don't think that's a good idea. Edit wars are
completely different than vandalism because it's just
one page. I think that our current policy of
protecting the page is sufficient. If it were possible
for developers to make it so that a particular sysop
couldn't edit a page, I think that would help, but a
situation where this would be needed hasn't come up
yet. Cool off bans for [multipage] trolls and vandals,
IMO, would be good.
LDan