[WikiEN-l] Cool Off Ban

Stevertigo utilitymuffinresearch2 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 6 19:25:28 UTC 2003

--- Christopher Mahan <chris_mahan at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I imagine such bans could be called Cool Off Periods
> of say 12, 24,
> 36, or 72 hours, both parties in an edit war being
> banned for the
> same amount of time, so that neither feels the W has
> sided with the
> other party?

72 hours, by the way is what is called a "5150" in
California
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/appndxa/welfinst/welin5150.htm

I would say that cooling off periods, if they are too
short, will be used less seriously, and as such might
cause more problems than they solve-- look at how Axel
took it upon himself to reverse Erik's ban-- long
before any meaningful consensus had arrived onlist. In
light of the fact that this is a world wide operation,
a full day should not be unreasonable for a minimum
ban.

BTW, the only inappropriate thing done in that whole
ban thing was Axel's lifting of Erik's ban, done in
good faith, and with unquestionably good cause. My
last word on that.

~S~