[WikiEN-l] Re: Response to Ray Saintonge - more in favor of the status quo for the Israel-related articles

Axel Boldt axelboldt at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 3 10:23:30 UTC 2003

Abe,

in general I am sympathetic to your point, which you will allow me to
paraphrase as

     For contentious political topics, Wikipedia is a sandbox where
     loudmouthed extremists on both sides fight it out in an often ugly
     manner, but at the end an OK article will emerge.

Now, it's important to realize that *we* set the boundaries of that
sandbox. For instance, threatening another Wikipedian's life is
completely unacceptable and people have been banned for it, with wide
support.

One might argue that we should adopt stricter boundaries, for instance
throwing out those kids (on all sides) who repeatedly personally abuse
others. The extremists who can live inside that boundary would then have
to fight it out in the now smaller sandbox. It is not at all clear to me
that that smaller sandbox would produce worse results.

Axel