[WikiEN-l] RK unbanned : a community decision ?

Anthere anthere6 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 2 19:21:37 UTC 2003

Dante Alighieri said
>For the record, if Axel hadn't unbanned him, I would
>have... and I support
>the banning of him in the first place. Here''s my
>reasoning:

>Banning/unbanning is largely irrelevant in this
>situation, RK certainly isn't coming back any time
soon.

Not sure of this. He seems to be a tough one. He can
cool down

>*Banning logged-in users is a temporary emergency
step >and the emergency has passed.

Very true

>*Unbanning him in no way says that his behavior is
>acceptable, it merely respects our process.

Ah ? Well, if you say so, I believe you

>We have no procedure to ban logged-in users for any
>specific length of
>time. The mandate is in an emergency to protect
>vandalism. Once the
>vandalism threat is over, there is no rationale to
>continue that form of
>ban.

Fair.
Though...I am curious...just how many loggued in users
are banned right now ? How long ago was it ?

>At this point, the weeks-long consensus that a ban
>should (or should
>not) occur takes place and then we have our
democratic >solution. Axel did
>not show disrespect to people who were insulted, he
>showed respect for the
>Wikipedia process that we all abide by.

Good, I am glad to hear that.
Democratic implies of course, that everybody has the
chance to weight in.

>I disagree with Axel that he never
>should have been banned in the first place, that was
>an appropriate step to
>undertake given the situation. That's just my two
>cents.

It certainly was a decision not everybody could agree
on.