[WikiEN-l] Re: RK temp-banned

Gutza gutza at moongate.ro
Thu Oct 2 15:28:32 UTC 2003

Axel Boldt wrote:

> Who made the decision to enact a temporary ban? If it was you, I ask
> you again to refrain from taking decisions that nobody has given you
> authority to take. In the past, you have repeatedly tried to usurp
> powers based on your developer status.
>
> If it was Jimbo, then I would like to see his reasoning.

Although I don't agree with Erik about enforcing a permanent ban, I
think the temporary ban for a day was welcome. I'm not sure if you were
following the discussion yesterday, things were rapidly escalating, and
the one person who was generously pouring gas on the fire was RK. If you
haven't been following things "live", as I suppose you didn't, it's hard
to imagine in retrospect how fast things were going down the drain. RK
obviously lost it, he was calling everybody names, he didn't accept even
the most mildly tempered comments (and I'm not talking about me here,
some people actually tried talking to him as if they were sipping coffee
together) and he started vandalizing user pages because people were
placing comments on his talk page, as I'm sure you already read ten
times by now. So I agree with Erik, and I don't think he was "usurping"
anything -- he just did what he had to in order to chill everybody down.
But then again, I don't think a month's ban would solve anything. RK
should either be banned for good (which I don't support), or receive
chill-down kicks (IRC sense), which I fully support.

Gutza