[WikiEN-l] Wikilists and GDFL

Jake Nelson jnelson at soncom.com
Wed Oct 1 15:57:22 UTC 2003

I don't think (from what I've seen) that anyone is proposing making this
retroactive. (If they were, they should know it can't be done.) As for
making them GFDL from now on... I strongly vote against.
A) Sometimes people will discuss things we don't have the rights to print in
an article. This isn't unusl when making a point.
B) GFDL is a bad fit for Wikipedia, much less mailing lists. We'd be utterly
noncompliant in so many ways, it's not even funny. And once you attach a
license, it's insanely difficult to get rid of it.

Now, I personally wouldn't have issue with releasing all my postings as PD,
but point A would cause some trouble with that being general policy. I think
a notice on the signup mail or page or something saying "You allow your
statements made on this list to be used in Wikipedia." might be workable.

-- Jake