[WikiEN-l] Mascot (re)vote

Anthere anthere6 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 1 13:53:07 UTC 2003

> From: Daniel Ehrenberg <littledanehren at yahoo.com>
> Subject: [WikiEN-l] Mascot (re)vote

> I propose that we have a mascot vote similar to the
> logo vote, possibly (but not necessarily) starting
> over. The current mascot frontrunner (the centepede)
> was voted over the course of six months, but not
> many
> people have voted for any of the mascots the mascots
> (at least compared to the logo vote). Many people
> voted before the Miwiki project was started and
> didn't
> see how well it would turn out.
>
> We don't need to start all over for the mascots, we
> just need to publicize it more to get more entries
> and, more importantly, more votes. When voting on
> variants for the elected logo, it seems that Mav
> vetoed all miwiki variants because the centepede is
> winning by 3 votes (or was it for some other
> reason?).
> I don't think that's enough of a margin. I think
> that
> the mascot should be on the logo some way or
> another.
> I think to get more people to vote on the mascot,
> all
> we need to do is publicize it on the main page and
> set
> a deadline. If you don't want a mascot, that's fine,
> but then we need to say that we don't want a mascot
> and not have this ongoing vote.
> LDan

My feeling over that mail

1. People are really tired of voting right now

2. I think we really have more urgent issues right
now. Actually, the little speed that we could gain
from *not* uploading mascot testing images would be
valuable for some of us.

3. You suggest that the mascot should be included to
the logo, while at the same time ml is buzzing about
complaints of people who already find the logo too
complicated

4. Several people are getting active in trying to find
a way to have a multilingual democracy, and suggest
that for example, discussions are held in several
languages. I can't help putting this in perspective
that very few wikipedias have translated the
instructions for the current vote. Between the first
and the second vote, I had to correct about 10 french
votes, mostly because people who did not understand
how to vote, did not set their meta user page
properly, along the guidelines. And this was an easy
vote. Choice on pictures only. Note though that most
discussions on logos pages were held in english. Not
translated. Any other multilingual votes will really
require more effort of multilingual translations and
discussions.

As Tarquin suggested, we should have had guidelines of
size, weight... If we learn from this, we should do
the same for the mascot
Then all the guidelines must be translated.

What do I see that you propose here ?

A vote suggestion
On an english page
With the suggestion of advertisement on the english
main page
Suggestion made on the english mailing list

Apologies for not being very enthousiastic right now.
Please come back in 3 months Dan :-)