[WikiEN-l] contributions of User:Mr-Natural-Health

Andrew Alder andrewa at alder.ws
Fri Dec 5 00:40:25 UTC 2003

G'day Ray, G'day Sascha

At 01:54 AM 2/12/03 -0800, Ray Saintonge wrote:

>Sascha Noyes wrote:
>
>>This person needs a stern talking to.
> From his user page:
>>under "modified pages"
>>"Alternative medicine - I cleaned up this article. I removed the
>>anti-bias and made it pro-alternative medicine."
>>
>>under "Interests"
>>"To get important natural health related information and definitions in
>>an Internet accessible encyclopedia / dictionary."
>>
>>It is clear that /his/her/its purpose is to inject their POV and remove
>>that of others.
>So he's trying to put his own spin on things.  How is that so different
>from what most Wikipedians are trying to accomplish?  Announcing areas of
>interest is pretty normal.
>
>Ec

Having had a quick look at the article history, I'd have to agree with Sascha.

The first quote about making it pro alternative medicine was exactly what
this user did. The worst of it has already been removed. I haven't looked
to see whether his claim of anti alternative medicine POV in what he found
there is true, but what he left was certainly pro alternative medicine POV,
it read just like a pamphlet you might pick up in a practitioner's waiting
room.

But there have been no reversion wars so far that I can see, despite some
corrections to the worst of his rhetoric. So it's possible that he will
quickly get the idea of NPOV and even accept it. If he's as heavily
involved in alternative medicine as I suspect, he may be a very good source
of information on the subject.

I expect some Wikipedians regard alternative medicine as all gospel, and
others regard it as all quackery. So to come up with a generally accepted
NPOV will be quite a challenge, but IMO not an impossibility.

Andrew A

****
andrewa @ alder . ws
http://www.zeta.org.au/~andrewa